permaculture - Re: [permaculture] USDA Organic Integrity Database

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] USDA Organic Integrity Database
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 22:06:01 -0400

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 9:31 PM Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>
wrote:

> We have the same problem in the U.S., Donica, the board of directors of
> the certifying agency has drifted more and more toward the corporate
> farmers and the fees are becoming to high for most small farmers.

Would you believe, those in the money loop simply tell the smaller farmers
who can not afford certification to "we, you can always get a grant" or
"turn your farm into a non-profit".
It is way beyond ludicrous to think that dedicated, skilled, committed
lifetime natural farmers intent on feeding their fellow Americans the best
they can produce, might have to "get a grant" in order to make enough money
to support themselves and their families. I mean, really. Having to become
a non profit is off the charts of ridiculousness.

> The
> local farmer's market hosts farmers who advertise on their product
> tables that they are "better than organic". I support their boycott of
> the certification process and costs.
>
> That is trending and growing enormously in numbers of farmers self
labeling in a way that conveys the fact that they farm using natural
methods and materials and consistent with their farm ecology.

Do you remember Eric Kindberg? He fought tooth and nail for farmers to
retain ownership of organic certification and labelling. The dominant
powers won and the government now owns it.
I vote for non certified organic or certified naturally grown or just clean
raised.