permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Corn Variety Grabs Fertilizer from the Air - Scientific American

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Corn Variety Grabs Fertilizer from the Air - Scientific American
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2018 23:37:06 -0400

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 11:23 PM, "Darrell E. Frey" <defrey@bioshelter.com>
wrote:

> The bacteria would not come with the seeds. I am curious how environment
> specific the bacteria is?

I would imagine very environmentally specific. This is the reason for
trials in all sorts of locations, to nudge it to fix nitrogen and produce
edible seed in a less-than-perfect climate.
That's just my take on it. My approach would be to breed varieties for as
many climatic locations as possible regardless of yield quantity and
quality. If it never makes it into mainstream large scale ag
production and is only useful for home gardeners, subsistence farmers,
homesteaders, indigenous folks growing on common land, then so be it.
That's better than nothing.