permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Corn Variety Grabs Fertilizer from the Air - Scientific American

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Darrell E. Frey" <defrey@bioshelter.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, scott@permaculture.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Corn Variety Grabs Fertilizer from the Air - Scientific American
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2018 23:23:05 -0400

The bacteria would not come with the seeds. I am curious how environment
specific the bacteria is?
Darrell E. Frey
Three Sisters Farm
defrey@bioshelter.com
www.bioshelter.com
www.threesisterspermaculture.com

Author; Bioshelter Market Garden: A Permaculture Farm. New Society
Publishing, 2011, Co-Author; Food Forest Handbook, New Society Publishing,
2017

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 22:55:59 -0400, Lawrence London wrote:

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 1:26 PM, Scott Pittman
wrote:

> If my memory serves Dr. Alan Kapuler worked on this corn variety many
> years ago when Seeds of Change was founded. I know that I heard about it
> from him back when Seeds of Change moved from the Gila Wilderness to El
> Guique. I did see that Howard Shapiro was one of the listed participants
> in the U.C. Davis study; Howard was also a founder of Seeds of Change and
> lived at the farm in El Guique....
>
> On 8/10/2018 12:25 PM, Lawrence London wrote:
>
> Corn Variety Grabs Fertilizer from the Air - Scientific
> Americanhttps://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/corn-variety-grabs-fertilizer-from-the-air/
>
> --
> Best regards, Scott Pittman Director Permaculture Institute

Isn't nitrogen-fixing grain one of the primary holy grails of plant
breeding? I would have thought that a number of organizations like Seeds of
Change
might have produced a marketable variety of this corn by now. Maybe there
are many reasons why not. If samples of the seed could be distributed all
over the US (and elsewhere) trials could begin and
at the very least there would be a few varieties for home gardeners, which
would be better than nothing. Do you know any more about it, Scott? Corn is
such good food. Italians love it as polenta and they have some really
fancy gourmet recipes for that. They use local organic yellow corn and
grind it in a water-power-driven stone mill that turns slowly and doesn't
heat the meal. We call it grits around here and like it made from white
corn. Some people call it Georgia Ice Cream. I like both kinds, served very
hot with a lot of raw garlic, tofu, parsley, alfalfa sprouts, olive oil,
sea salt and herbs, soy cheese too, a perfect combination. Try this nice
video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVnJrEYwAZI.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.