permaculture - [permaculture] Plants transfer lipids to sustain colonization by mutualistic mycorrhizal and parasitic fungi | Science

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Plants transfer lipids to sustain colonization by mutualistic mycorrhizal and parasitic fungi | Science
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 11:58:53 -0400

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172

Plants transfer lipids to sustain colonization by mutualistic mycorrhizal
and parasitic fungi

1. Yina Jiang1
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-1>,
2. Wanxiao Wang1
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-1>,
3. Qiujin Xie1
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-1>,
4. Na Liu2 <http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-2>,3
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-3>,
5. Lixia Liu1 <http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-1>,

6. Dapeng Wang1
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-1>,
7. Xiaowei Zhang1
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-1>,
8. Chen Yang1 <http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-1>,

9. Xiaoya Chen1
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-1>,
10. Dingzhong Tang2
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-2>,3
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-3>,
11. Ertao Wang1
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#aff-1>,*
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#corresp-1>

*+* See all authors and affiliations
Science 16 Jun 2017:
Vol. 356, Issue 6343, pp. 1172-1175
DOI: 10.1126/science.aam9970
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#>

- Article <http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172>
- Figures & Data
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172/tab-figures-data>
- Info & Metrics
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172/tab-article-info>
- eLetters
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172/tab-e-letters>
- PDF <http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172/tab-pdf>

You are currently viewing the abstract.
View Full Text
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172#login-pane>
Via AAAS ID
This article is available to AAAS members. If you are a AAAS Member use
your via AAAS ID
<https://signin.aaas.org/oxauth/seam/resource/restv1/oxauth/authorize?response_type=code&client_id=%40%21DF52.8A2B.1610.1D59%210001%21F186.A7D4%210008%21AB98.2411&redirect_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fclassic.sciencemag.org%2Foauth2%2Fcode%2F&scope=openid+org.aaas&state=http%3A%2F%2Fscience.sciencemag.org%2Fcontent%2F356%2F6343%2F1172%3Fsso%3D1%26sso_redirect_count%3D1>
and password to log in. Not a member? Click here
<http://www.aaas.org/membercentral/join-aaas> to join.
- Recommend a subscription to your library

- Help for librarians <http://www.sciencemag.org/site/help/librarians>

Order a single issue <https://backissues.sciencemag.org>
Free with registration

Science research is available free with registration one year after initial
publication. To get your free access please visit our registration form
<https://pubs.aaas.org/Promo/promo_setup_rd.asp?dmc=P0RFA1>.
Food for fungi

A wide variety of plants form symbiotic relationships in their roots with
arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. The fungi channel inorganic and
micronutrients from soil to the plant, and the plant supplies the fungi
with organic nutrients. Jiang *et al.* and Luginbuehl *et al.* found that
as part of this exchange, the plant supplies lipids to its symbiotic fungi,
thus providing the fungi with a robust source of carbon for their metabolic
needs.

*Science*, this issue p. 1172
<http://science.sciencemag.org/lookup/doi/10.1126/science.aam9970>; p. 1175
<http://science.sciencemag.org/lookup/doi/10.1126/science.aan0081>
Abstract

Arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi facilitate plant uptake of mineral
nutrients and draw organic nutrients from the plant. Organic nutrients are
thought to be supplied primarily in the form of sugars. Here we show that
the AM fungus *Rhizophagus irregularis* is a fatty acid auxotroph and that
fatty acids synthesized in the host plants are transferred to the fungus to
sustain mycorrhizal colonization. The transfer is dependent on RAM2
(REQUIRED FOR ARBUSCULAR MYCORRHIZATION 2) and the ATP binding cassette
transporter–mediated plant lipid export pathway. We further show that plant
fatty acids can be transferred to the pathogenic fungus *Golovinomyces
cichoracerum* and are required for colonization by pathogens. We suggest
that the mutualistic mycorrhizal and pathogenic fungi similarly recruit the
fatty acid biosynthesis program to facilitate host invasion.
http://www.sciencemag.org/about/science-licenses-journal-article-reuse
View Full Text <http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6343/1172.full>

  • [permaculture] Plants transfer lipids to sustain colonization by mutualistic mycorrhizal and parasitic fungi | Science, Lawrence London, 06/20/2017