permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pollinator Conservation Guide | North Carolina Cooperative Extension

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Carolyn Anderson <cschampagne@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pollinator Conservation Guide | North Carolina Cooperative Extension
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 12:48:46 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I haven't chimed in for awhile, but today I have a question, or rather a
request for some advice.

I attended a Sierra Club meeting about pollinator conservation with Phyllis
Stiles of Bee City USA last night, which inspired me to prepare the soil in
my yard this fall for a pollinator garden to plant from October through
next spring. Unfortuanately, I live in a rental and my landlord told me
the yard has to stay grass to remain in keeping with the rest of the
neighborhood. He's not willing to take a chance being a leader into a new
paradigm. My back yard is on a fairly steep slope and currently overgrown
with poison ivy and other invasive vines I"m slowly trying to get under
control using only vinegar and salt (with little success).

So, I'm looking for suggestions as to how renters can contribute when
changing the landscape is not allowed in their lease.
Any suggestions and thoughts would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.
Carolyn Anderson

ps. I'm in Asheville, the first Bee City, where there's still a fairly
good population of bees and pollinators present, but I want to improve
their chances if I can.