permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Piedmont Bioregion Permaculture Guild

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Piedmont Bioregion Permaculture Guild
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 08:55:19 -0400

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Carol Lee Bell <pyrofish333@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there one of these for Virginia?

There is a lot of natural farming activity in Virginia, especially
biodynamic, in intentional communities and organic farms.
It may be more fertile ground for permaculture activity but I have no idea
what actually exists there. There is a lot of natural farming in West
Virginia too.
It seems logical to work towards this multi state region to organize
permaculture activities and events. Guilds seem to imply local efforts like
cities and towns.
Virginia is definitely heavy duty when it comes to natual farming but the
Triangle NC area is alo and it is growing thanks to incredible work done by
Orange County government, Extension and Economic Development, i.e. Breeze
Farm, the new Food Hub and the value added procesing facility of Churton
Street.
Chatham has many natural farms and gardens plus the sustainable farming
curriculum at CCCC in in Pittsboro.

I guess we in the Triangle are closer to most of the intensive farming
activity in Virginia that we are to what is happening west of Asheville.
Fifth Season Gardening, supplier of natural soil amendments, has a branch
in Charlottesville as well as Raleigh, Carrboro and elsewhere. They locate
where there is the most natural market farming activity.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com