permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Seaweeds in Ireland (was Satirical Irony . . .)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Seaweeds in Ireland (was Satirical Irony . . .)
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 05:01:21 -0400

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 3:17 AM, scrooge McDuck <declan@planetmail.net>
wrote:

> The only one that is widely used is called Carageen. It's an anglicisation
> of the Irish language name which uses accents not available to me here.
> It's boiled collected on the Atlantic shores, boiled and yields a white
> jelly like soft Tofu. My mother used to make it up and shove it on us as
> kids in desserts for the health benefits of it. Just Google' "carageen
> moss".

I think this must be Irish Moss. Good on your Mother for feeding it to you
and cultivating a taste for real food. It is a commonly used food additive
maybe a thickener. Strange it is removed from its source to be used
widespread in commercial packaged food instead of heading for people's
table.

> The eastern shoreline where I am close to has sueage pollution from cities
> and nuclear waste from Sellafield or whatever they are calling it now in
> Wales. People are a lot less anxious to eat from the the Irish sea. The
> seaweed is rarer here, and not harvested to my knowledge. I am not aware of
> what the fishing industry gets up to.
>
> What is a growing problem here is green algae on still fresh water, lakes,
> etc. I think global warming is implicated. We are also suckers for
> mosquitoes if they ever get established here.

Good grief. I think I would pull up stakes and move to the other side of
Ireland. You've given a description of environmental hell compared to the
pristine state one imagines Ireland to be in from tales of old, apparently
a fantasy world.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com