permaculture - [permaculture] Seaweeds in Ireland (was Satirical Irony . . .)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "scrooge McDuck" <declan@planetmail.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Seaweeds in Ireland (was Satirical Irony . . .)
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 09:17:04 +0200

The only one that is widely used is called Carageen. It's an anglicisation of the Irish language name which uses accents not available to me here. It's boiled collected on the Atlantic shores, boiled and yields a white jelly like soft Tofu. My mother used to make it up and shove it on us as kids in desserts for the health benefits of it. Just Google' "carageen moss".
The eastern shoreline where I am close to has sueage pollution from cities and nuclear waste from Sellafield or whatever they are calling it now in Wales. People are a lot less anxious to eat from the the Irish sea. The seaweed is rarer here, and not harvested to my knowledge. I am not aware of what the fishing industry gets up to.

What is a growing problem here is green algae on still fresh water, lakes, etc. I think global warming is implicated. We are also suckers for mosquitoes if they ever get established here.
--
Declan Moriarty
Sent from my Android tablet with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 15/07/2016, 23:10 Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 5:50 PM, scrooge McDuck <declan@planetmail.net>
wrote:

> I read all your posts Lawrence. I applaud your efforts to encourage more
> pure Permaculture discussion. I don't want to have to wade through the
> world's problems for the few scattered pearls of Permaculture.

Thanks and so do I. If I put myself in the role as subscriber and not list
owner I can see what you are talking about much more clearly. If I go to
Permies forums for entertainment and education I find myself quickly
scanning the topic and comment headers for useful posts. I would do the
same in this list's message archives.

Amazing grasp of the obvious department: I am driven to keep this list
active and useful. I always hope for a steady flow of posts that are
focused and on topic from anyone. I use this list's message archives to
build my own mini encyclopedia for reference, research and material to
quote in posts. I have put thousands in there over the years. It is a
valuable source of information for me. I use Google's site: search tool to
search the pc list message archives instead of the whole Web and
exclusively for information referred to in the search string.

> What galls mei's that collectively there must be centuries of Permaculture
> experience on this list and nobody shares it. Look at recent threads.

There absolutely is. You could write books from all that information and
certainly when including all the links in the posts.

To all: please post what interests you about permaculture design and
permaculture site construction and maintenance.

Post away. You can bet I will even though I have never taken a much needed
and highly valuable PDC.

Scrooge: tell me about seaweeds in Ireland, varieties, maintenance of
colonies, harvest and use.

Where is John d'Hondt in all this?

LL

--