permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Theft, Lies, and Facebook Video — Medium

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Theft, Lies, and Facebook Video — Medium
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 15:51:31 -0400

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Jeff Hine <jeffreyhine@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lawrence, thanks for that link. It was kind of an eye opener. Perhaps
> google's mantra of "Do not be evil" has some merit, though as money
> pours into these companies they may feel their bottom line is more
> important then protecting individual copyright and personal freedom.
> I've been going through an evaluation to try to understand how much
> social networks add to my life, and to be honest, I think not very
> much. Too much screen time I think may be what ails us all.

As for farcebook, I see it as a net loss for those who think it will offer
a long term solution for special interest networking;
it has a signal to noise ration that is lopsided in favor of the farce. I
began online networking with my bbs which was connected to an international
network on the subject of sustainable agriculture. I moved this to the
internet and created this mailing list.
Discussion traffic built from that point and at one time we had over 1000
subscribers and healthy ongoing discussion.
Since the farce gained popularity traffic has been on a steady decline, a
mere trickle compared to prior years though the subscription roster has
remained the same with a loss of two hundred from over the years. Ello is
only a year old and is light years ahead of the farce.
I have started a permaculture page there that I would like to develop as a
companion to this list but not a replacement. Ello is in development and
will have a host of new features in future versions. The only other place
to do permaculture networking is Voat which is like reddit, censorship
central and largely abandoned, but I do not see it as a place for serious
networking development or information collection development. What is
lacking in this list can be partially made up for with Ello and Voat and
there's no reason not to use all three concurrently and all three are (with
configuration of your account) publically viewable, not so with the farce.
It galls me that this list has lost so much activity to such a sleazy,
useless social media platform (if you can call it that) which encourages
lazy, trivial activity
while this list is of timeless value as are all other lists , most of
Google resources and Wordpress. I can create a Wordpress blog and pipe all
posts from this list into it for enhanced access and graphical display.
With that blog I could have a list of co owners with posting privilege and
allow limited or open public commenting. This scenario automatically goes
light years beyond the farce as far as user experience value and robust
features.

> As far as
> using this list more I agree, but I have to say sometimes people like
> me that are novices, not certified, may tend to stay on the sidelines.
> This list often seems to be more about the "big stuff", the theories,
> the overall direction of the movement, and that is good and useful.
> Sometimes wish it had more boots on the ground help for permaculture
> folk that are never going to be teachers, share pictures, their
> trials, share suggestions. I am going to spend some time looking at
> the links you provided, the other social networks. Thanks to all the
> teachers on this list. -Jeff

You said it for me, Jeffrey. We are on the same page. My posts on internet
personal security
were off topic but a one time thing to pass on what I thought were leads to
apps that could be useful
plus a rational explanation of why we might need them without conspiracy
rants. No more of that from me.

I know the value of a hands on PDC and permaculture education and workshops
in general even though I have never taken
more than an introductory lecture by Lee Barnes, an event that got me
moving along the permaculture path in tandem with natural agriculture and
back to the land homesteading. I am a novice in this respect too and would
like to put this list to use for "boots on the ground" training and
feedback with everyone interested discussing their own practitioner
experience, hopes for the long haul, Q&A and descriptions of their work at
home and projects wherever they might be. Without further delay I suggest
that we get on with just that.
Attaching images with your posts is always good however having an Ello
and/or Voat account will make organizing your online presence with
documentation of yours and others work easier and more robust. The
advantage with Ello is that you can upload an almost unlimited number of
large razor sharp images for maximum high res full screen display and their
text editor is outstanding for posts and comments allowing included images.
Voat has an equally good editor with full markdown and post-comment trees,
an excellent community and allows links to images hosted elsewhere. You can
save posts and comments for later viewing. I have a permagriculture
subverse at Voat
that I call permaculture. My Ello @permaculture page is being developed
slowly with carefully chosen posts. Any number of us can network there to
develop a common permaculture community presence. Accounts like
@permaculture, @permaculture1 (or any other name but since it will likely
be a second account for most, ID'ing the community members with the
permaculture name would be useful) and so forth could follow each other and
keep content on track and focused. Your posts to this list could include
links to individual Ello posts which all have unique URL's and can be
displayed apart from the general feed and they can be emailed to other
destinations with or without message bodies containing links,
formatted/unformatted text and images. The same can be done with Voat posts.

I hope you and others will use the forum for discussion of hands on nuts
and bolts boots on the ground permaculture.
After I take a few pix I will post images of some of my overgrown weed
patch lawns used to capture and recycle nutrients and water
while regenerating itself year to year and providing a nice, manageable
wild garden.
LL

--
Lawrence F. London