permaculture - Re: [permaculture] BBC How Plants Communicate & Think - Amazing Nature Documentary - YouTube

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] BBC How Plants Communicate & Think - Amazing Nature Documentary - YouTube
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 00:31:09 -0500

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:55 PM, judy <vidaljudy@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Lawrence,
> Below is an attempt to address the issues you raise. Thank-you so much for
> offering to help. This seems like a lot of information!

Sorry for the delay in a reply which has been in the works for the past few
days. Have been busy cutting and splitting firewood between rainstorms.

> 30 acres....

I would keep vehicles and farm equipment off as much of your land as
possible and only walk or bicycle along paths created for that purpose. Do
this to reduce or eliminate soil compaction
and changes in the natural flow of water across the terrain, disturb local
ecosystems as little as possible, preserve the existing soil seed bank and
disturb plant colonies as little as possible.

> what kind of soil
>
> I have a NRCS Soil Mapping which indicates: lewbeach channery
> loam, onteora channery silt loam, Vly channery silt loam, willowemoc
> channery
> silt loam all with 8 to 15 percent slopes. This document can be accessed
> online, I think. Details “unlimed, it is strongly to very
> strongly acid”. Soil test in garden confirmed need to lime. Elevation in
> uplands is 1,750 feet

I've never heard of those soil types but the loams sound interesting. I
have Georgeville silt loam here and it is one of the best in the state;
comparable to clay loam in performance but more permeable, so much so that
it will not hold water for long; water impoundments are strictly wet
weather.
New York has some very fine agricultural soils, some due to rich glacial
deposits, highly mineralized I would imagine. If yours is very acid I
would recommend high calcium lime, dolomitic lime, shell meal, azomite and
aragonite, also wood ashes, a blend of all those applied conservatively. I
would also incorporate as much organic matter as possible into the soil and
grow legumes such as vetch, clovers especially tall sweet white and yellow
clover, mellilotus alba, Austrian winter pea, buckwheat and rye grain,
possibly also winter rye and sorghum sudan grass.
This should help get cropping cycles started.

> what are the landforms like, i.e.
> grades, slopes, lay of the land, where
>
> the water goes when it rains
>
> When the water flows it goes either into a ditch by the road or
> onto the neighbors’ properties downhill, one of which is a larger stream
> feeding into the East Delaware I believe.
>

> Property is situated at the end of a valley: translates into
> high winds.

Plant windbreaks such as Eastern red cedar (my top choice), pine, fir,
hemlock, spruce.

> Used to be part of a much larger farm which was subdivided in the
> 70’s. Shape of the 30 acres is bizarre to say the least: Beautiful old
> farmhouse sits at bottom of a slope by the road across from which there is
> a 7
> acre very gently sloped haying field. Property around the house is pretty
> narrow (maybe 2 acres) and goes up the mountain in a bottleneck and then
> widens. Up the hill, behind
> the house, there is a level open field that was planted with blackberries
> which
> have taken over and don’t seem to produce (I can’t figure out why. Old
> timers
>

> remember picking berries as children) When I pull up the brambles the soil
> is a
> deep black: the roots have done a wonderful humus building job. I suspect
> all
> the pastures were overgrazed (this is traditional cow country)
>
> I would try to revitalize those blackberries and also locate vegetable and
herb beds nearby, small bush fruit like blueberies,
possibly hardy figs, elderberries and eleagnus.

More later in next reply.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com