permaculture - [permaculture] New article on Zone 00

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] New article on Zone 00
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 13:57:59 -0700

I've posted some thoughts on why I think zone 00 as the state of the
designer's mind is a bad term.

It's at:

http://www.patternliteracy.com/816-zone-00-right-intentions-wrong-term

Zone 00: Right Intentions, Wrong Term

"One of my pet projects is to clean up the ambiguities and logical
inconsistencies that weaken permaculture terminology. Today I take aim at the
term Zone 00, used to mean either the designer or user of a permaculture
design, or their inner state. It’s a concept spawned by good intentions, but
calling it a zone is logically inconsistent, redundant, and worst of all, has
no design use. The designer’s mind is a crucial influence, but it’s not a
zone. If it’s an influence on a design, that makes it a sector, right? (If
you just slapped your forehead and said “Doh!” then you need read no
further.) So let’s stop using the term zone 00."

Enjoy!

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com