permaculture - Re: [permaculture] List of permaculture teachers in North America - PLEASE EDIT

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] List of permaculture teachers in North America - PLEASE EDIT
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 01:16:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Jason, et al,

Great to hear you are attending the 1st North American Permaculture
Convergence.  Here are some more thoughts on NAPC.

What will happen at the NAPC?

The
NAPC will be many things to many people.  Each of us will have a different
experience depending on who we talk to
and our personal NAPC goals. What would you like to happen? How can the
organizers help make it happen? How can you help make it happen?  In a sense
we can each design our own NAPC.  What round tables do you want to participate
in?  What are the topics or crops you are
keenest on?  What kinds of information
are you seeking?  What kind of networking
do you want to do?  Who do you want to
meet?  What do you want to offer the
movement? What do you have to offer the Earth?  NAPC provides the venue, the
opportunity, for all of us to have a
meaningful experience.

Would
you like to give a talk? Do a demonstration? Lead a hands-on? Nominate a round
table discussion? Have a meeting? Draft a group proposal? You tell us. We
foresee an incredibly rich and varied offering. A full and wide-ranging
schedule.  People will vote with their
feet.  The hottest topics will have
bigger turnouts. We can look for opportunities to combine presentations and
topics.  This is not going to be a top
down schedule.  This is going to be a
bottom up schedule.

As
people nominate topics, presentations, hands-on, demos, etc, we will post them
on the web.  These will coalesce into a
schedule before and during the event. You’ll know most of the events scheduled
going into the event, but new things will be added even during the
convergence.  There will be periodic
plenary sessions during the gathering to keep everyone informed.

A bit of history
Michael Pilarski

In
1986, the 2nd International
Permaculture Convergence and Conference  (IPC II) was held respectively at
Breitenbush Hot Springs in
Oregon’s Cascades and at the Evergreen State College in Olympia,
Washington.  Several hundred people
attended the Convergence and 700 people attended the IPC Conference.  The
twin events attracted participants from
across North America as well as internationally. Many of North America’s pc
pioneers attended including myself.  Bill
Mollison, Masanobu Fukuoka and Wes Jackson were keynote speakers and many of
you may have seen the photo of the three of them doing the pantomine “See no
evil, hear no evil, speak no evil”. It was a noteworthy event in North
American
pc history.  IPC II was organized by the
new organization, Permaculture Institute of North America (PINA)

This
first PINA dissolved in 1988, and in an attempt to create a new North American
permaculture organization a North American Permaculture Designer’s Gathering
was held from
November 3-5, 1989 at Camp Stoney outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Scott
Pittman was the local host/organizer.  About 25 pc organizers attended and
formed a new organization called
North American Permaculture (NAP). It would be interesting to find the
attendance
roll of who attended. I was there along with Scott Pittman, Larry Santoyo,
David Jacke, Cynthia Edwards, Sue Colpas-Ross, Jo Clayson, and….? Alas, NAP
took a nap and never took off as an organization.

The Permaculture Voices Conference was
held in in San Diego, California in March, 2014 and brought together a great
cast of permaculture notables.  The event
attracted about 650 participants. Most of the time was spent listening to
presentations by the main speakers. NAPC will differ by being focused on
networking, round table discussions and building the movement.

It
will be exciting to see what NAPC I means to the movement.  Come and find
out.  You can be part of this history.

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:16 AM, Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>