permaculture - Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture History Project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rafter sass ferguson <liberationecology@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] North American Permaculture History Project
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 18:46:17 -0500

I love this project! Thanks so much to Michael for kicking this off.
The idea of mining back issues of Pc Activist for course listings is a
great one, and will likely produce data we couldn't get any other way.

As a supplement to that, I'm interested in following up on Sandra's
interesting idea - basically, crowdsourcing the data collection process
online.

With an eye to...
• making it easier to enter, collate, and do quality control on the data
(including for the Pc Activist archival search), and...
• making it possible for many people to contribute...

...I whipped up a Google form to show what it might look like. (I made it
international in scope, just for fun.)

This is the Google form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1RUVYGwXZnbNMXifzsAOwfX62o2t6AIxa1UaWvTndmns/viewform

And this is what it looks like embedded in a wordpress site:
http://liberationecology.org/wpgforms/permaculture-history-project/

Note that these form are live, but I haven't shared or promoted anything
yet, as I want to make sure this is acceptable to the folks who have
already put work in - namely, Michael!

Michael, would you consider this a valid complementary strategy to what
you've already begun? Could the form be useful for you in the work you've
already begun (like for data entry)?

One snazzy thing about the Google form is that it shows any respondent
summary graphics of all responses automagically after they submit. No
information hoarding here.

I'd like to hear feedback, suggestions, thoughts.
Thanks for your consideration, all.

Warmly,
Rafter

Rafter Sass Ferguson, MS
PhD Candidate | Crop Sciences Department
University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign
liberationecology.org
518 567 7407