permaculture - Re: [permaculture] EU Council regulations for farmers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] EU Council regulations for farmers
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:34:07 -0000

Thanks for sending this Lawrence. It has been on my mind for a while now.
And it is not just these regulations that make life difficult. Since the end of WW2 food has been steadily getting cheaper. Maybe nor for the consumer but definitely for the producer. A finished 45 kilo lamb now makes about 20 % less than in 1985. 70 years ago one fleece of wool paid a farm worker for a week. Now we recycle the wool because it would cost more to deliver to a collection point than the price we would get.
John

Attn: John D'hondt - LL

To quote a friend:
"ridiculous environmental law, and layer upon layer of regulation designed
to strangle small enterprises and give the ultimate advantage to
multinational corporations"
and
"What they are doing in the EU (and even more so, in the UK) is making it
impossible for small farmers to be able to continue to farm. Artfully
devised new regulations are making it impossible to make a living off the
produce of the land-- thanks to the same kind of thinking we're seeing here
in the Food Safety Act. They're just a few years further along than we are."

<>

l_03020090131en00160099.pdf - LexUriServ.do
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:030:0016:0016:EN:PDF

THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION

COUNCIL REGULATION (EC) No 73/2009
of 19 January 2009
establishing common rules for direct support schemes for farmers under the
common agricultural
policy and establishing certain support schemes for farmers, amending
Regulations (EC)
No 1290/2005, (EC) No 247/2006, (EC) No 378/2007 and repealing Regulation
(EC) No 1782/2003

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:030:0016:0016:EN:PDF