permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Pete Gasper, Gasper Family Farm" <farmer1@gasperfarm.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 01:03:10 -0600

Purchased sure, but those are all products of land based industries (by-products even). So we're avoiding the issues of fish food sourced from the sea and opening yourself to the opportunity to source your inputs from your own land given that resource or from your local community.

And unless you're feeding just yourself and putting the humanure back into the system somehow, you're going to have to have some sort of external input (whether purchased or from the land) to make up for the loss of nutrients in the meat harvested. I've heard of folks claiming aquaponics with only duck weed (grown from the same fish wastes) as a feed but I don't buy it.

What kind of fish are you feeding? How did you come of with this system and how are you making the pellets (pelletizing machines tend to be rather large scale, finicky things).

Please do share more.

And I think you are on to something with the crawfish. I recently watched a video on extensive production of crawfish using no food inputs, the crawfish fed on the ecosystem based around the rice chaff in the field. No outside inputs, stacking functions. Much more sustainable than farmed fish using wild caught fish food.

Pete