permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: georg parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 17:47:10 +0100

That's amazing Georg. It would be interesting to see pictures of your
duckweed pond, pool or wetland.

Hi Lawrence - see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30599070/AP/IMG_0218.JPG and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30599070/AP/IMG_0258.JPG - it is not easy to see, all of my 7 sump tanks are covered with duck weed - it's the blue things under the growbeds.

that purpose). Could you describe your BSF and crawfish systems? Is flowing
cold water required for crawfish production?

well, as I said, my BSF system didn't work - it is a blue 200 gallon barrel laid on it's side, with a lid cut into the top side, a little pipe with a faucet on the bottom (to harvest the compost tea), and some 40mm pipes cut lengthwise leaning in the compost to act as ladders so the larvae can self-harvest by climbing out on them and then dropping into a container unfer the end of the pipe - ut this is the part that didn't work. I had some larvae allright (to little, most of them were dead by the time the arrived at my place via mail), and they transformed lots of compost, but I never harvested any larvae. I will report on my new layout as soon as I have a working model - and I am confident, I got in touch with a lady growing BSF for food, and will get together with her to inprove my model according to her experience.

Crawfush system not yet exisiting. It is planned to have a simple, rather shallow trough with some decaying plant matter in it - the water flow goes into this and then via overflow on to the fish tank - any escapee is munched, and ever now and then I just scoop some out with a spagetthi sieve and throw them in with the fish. I am also thinking of growing a bigger crawfish - maybe the common yabby, Cherax destructor, in the DWC bed under the plants. This would be mainly for food, and if they propagate too profusely, feeding the small to the fish.

Best,
Georg