permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A Permaculturists Perspective on 100 Year Floods

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A Permaculturists Perspective on 100 Year Floods
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:16:15 -0500

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Chris Carnevale
<c.s.carnevale@gmail.com>wrote:

> Both are good ways to disseminate information to large audiences are
> well archived, indexed, searchable, etc.

That's what I thought for a while but visiting their sites or contributing
to forums is donating to people
who are essentially outside the realm of permaculture as I envision it,
i.e. their behavior and credibility is in question.
It a matter of standing for what you believe in and voting with your
keyboard. PRI: threatening and suing people who make statements in online
forums that are "inconvenient to their product marketing scheme" and
Wheaton: deliberately conning John d'H out of $80 and taking personal
credit for the work of other people. I will not give either of these
nonentities the time of day.
Are you going to stand with the Castro regime in Cuba or kowtow to the
right wing sponsored Cuban expatriates in the US who would revert Cuba to a
Batista-like dictatorship, puppets of vertically integrated multinational
corporate exploitation, in a minute if given the opportunity via a right
wing coup or outright invasion.

I'm not a big fan of permies
> but there is a ton of value in its ability to get lots of
> brains together to trade information.

Not really, if you look closely and they never follow up with really
worthwhile threads. I found out; zero response to a flood of excellent well
prepared information on soil quality and related topics.
If I post that here, feedback or not, it goes into searchable archives and
I get copies in email that I can organize into folder systems, export to
text, put online elsewhere, etc.
Of course there is a lot of good information at those two sites but you can
locate, archive and use the same information and more on your own by
searching the web. Needless to say many of the search results will link to
articles at those two sites. Actively contributing to their forums takes
time and energy away from creative discussion you could have in this list
and at the sites of
many list members. Are you going to allow PRI and Permies to swallow up the
permaculture movement so they can reinvent it in their image? Did you
support China's invasion and explotation of Tibet and turning Tibetans into
second class citizens and their national wealth goes into the pockets of
ChiComm profiteers? Russia is trying to swallow Ukraine, again, as they
have Belarus with Georgia in their sights.

Stand firm in your convictions. Boycott the poseurs and opportunists.

> I saw an alternative, which I like
> better, pop up at http://www.permaculturehub.com/ There isn't much
> activity there though.

That looks like a great alternative with considerable potential. The
problem with it seems to be that there is little or no moderation of users
and their offtopic crass commercial posts, i.e. garbage others have to wade
through, instead of structuring it around an array of focused permaculture
topics and keeping it that way. Whoever runs it should have no qualms
booting any who stray from the mission and purpose of that site. Maybe they
need better software, what is there looks like a Meetup site. Do do a
proper job the site owner may need to purchase forum software or make do
with a free app untill traffic warrants an upgrade. I support that and will
join today. Thanks for the pointer.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com