permaculture - [permaculture] Hawk attacks guinea 10 feet from me in broad daylight.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Hawk attacks guinea 10 feet from me in broad daylight.
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:10:38 -0500

Two days ago I was washing off a concrete slab with my garden hose with
power nozzle. Some serious action begins to unfold ten feet to my left. A
huge hawk swooped down right beside and from behind me onto my guinea fowl
clutching at it with its talons trying to get a grip and fly off with it. I
quickly pointed the water jet at the bird who after a minute or so finally,
reluctantly, let go of the guinea unharmed. This bird was huge, giant
wingspan. Looked like an eagle. I think it was not an owl as its head was
elongated with big beak but it stared at me like an owl. It was really
stunned by the water jet and just stood around doing nothing but spreading
its wings and being generally defensive. At one point it appeared to be
shivering from the cold as it was wet by the time I had freed the guinea. I
took a long pole and gradually lifted it in increments out to a field where
it flew away after an hour or so. I was worried that it might fly at me
with talons extended so I was careful with it. Experience with copperheads,
wasps, yellowjackets has taught me how to deal with risky wildlife but I do
not take chances. Amazing thing that was. Was it a hawk or an owl? I have
both on my property, maybe two kinds of owls and the small and the large
hawk, also plenty of crows, vultures, geese, blue herons and many different
kinds of song and foraging small birds in season.