permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The Founding Fables of Industrialized Agriculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The Founding Fables of Industrialized Agriculture
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:57:02 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:39:28 -0400
From: J Latham <jrlatham@BIOSCIENCERESOURCE.ORG>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Dear Sanet

Published Today on Independent Science News
The Founding Fables of Industrialised Agriculture (Wed 30th Oct 2013)
by Colin Tudge
url: http://www.independentsciencenews.org/un-sustainable-farming/the-founding-fables-of-industrialised-agriculture/

Synopsis: Industrial agriculture "is a far bigger threat to humanity than North Korea or “terrorism”, or the collapse of banks or dwindling oil". It is sold on a series of mythological propositions. Principal among them are the high yields and efficiency of monoculture agriculture, the inadequacy of smallholder farming, and the existence of a food productivity crisis. Journalists, politicians, and especially academics, propagate these myths largely unaware of their contradiction by evidence. Demolishing these myths and halting the march of industrial farming, therefore, "is the cause of our age....whatever else we may aspire to do, agriculture is the thing we absolutely have to get right."

Colin Tudge is author of So Shall We Reap and many other books about agriculture.

Please share this article

Yours sincerely

Jonathan Latham, PhD
Executive Director