permaculture - Re: [permaculture] To Pinch or not to Pinch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] To Pinch or not to Pinch
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:41:45 +0100

The Henry Doubleday Research Foundation in England did tests about pinching many years ago. They found the total weight of ripe tomatoes produced was greater with not pinching. But with pinching the tomatoes produced were a bit bigger.
I'll be interested in your test results Jason.
John who does not pinch

I'm curious to get a sampling of perspectives about pinching back
side-shoots on tomatoes. I'm running a variety trial this year (for my own
interests) and was in the crop yesterday really wondering about the
side-shoot pinching practice. I learned this method a decade ago from a
mentor and have been practicing it, perhaps blindly, ever since. Since I
have three or so plants from each variety I think I will pinch some and not
on others, and practice that good ole observation science.

So what say you epic gardeners of this list? To pinch or not to pinch?

--
Jason Gerhardt

PO Box 4355
Boulder, CO 80306