permaculture - Re: [permaculture] NOVA | Earth From Space

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] NOVA | Earth From Space
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:09:18 -0600

Thought everyone would want to know!! Check out the webpage...

Please post where appropriate!!

Scott Pittman

LIVE/International Permaculture Conference/Convergence 11 Cuba Nov 2013
website is LIVE

http://www.ipc11cuba.com/

Dear Permaculturists of the world!

During the last International Permaculture Convergence (IPC), IPC10,
celebrated in Jordan in September 2011, Cuba was chosen as the host for the
next IPC, IPC11, and we will be doing it this NOVEMBER 2013!!

As well as our friendly company you will enjoy a range activities to get
involved in here including:

a Permaculture Design Course facilitated by internationally renowned
teachers: Ron Berezan (CA), Brock Dolman (USA), Paulo Mellet (UK), Eric
Toensmeier (USA) and Cuba’s own Roberto Perez Rivero.

a 3 day Conference with the theme "Island Permaculture, Urban Permaculture,
and Permaculture and Climate Change"

a 5 day Convergence and

visits to permaculture and sustainability sites in Havana and two Provinces
of Cuba to see examples of Permaculture CUBA STYLE!

2013 IPC11 Key Events and Dates

Pre IPC International PDC

11-24 November, 2013.

Havana, Cuba

Conference Dinner and Gala

Havana, Cuba

International Permaculture Conference

25-27 November, 2013.

Havana, Cuba

Visit to Urban Permaculture sites

28 November, 2013.

Havana, Cuba

Convergence

29 November-3 December, 2013

Los Cocos, Mayabeque, Cuba

Permaculture Tours

>From December 4th, 2013

>From all of us permies here in Cuba we would like to say THANK YOU for this
wonderful opportunity to show off our work and hard earned experiences and
to continue our learning and exchanging with international participants and
collaborators… so

WELCOME to the Caribbean, WELCOME to Latin America and

WELCOME TO OUR ARCHIPELAGO!!!!

Sincerely,

The Cuba Organising Team

>From the Antonio Núñez Jiménez Foundation for Nature and Humanity

Contact

Main Co-ordinator

María Caridad Cruz Henández

Local Sustainable Development Program Director

Antonio Núñez Jiménez Foundation for Nature and Humanity

Cuba

Referencias en Español: info@ipc11cuba.com

Second Co-ordinator

Roberto Pérez Rivero

Environmental Education and Biodiversity Conservation Program Director

Antonio Núñez Jiménez Foundation for Nature and Humanity

Cuba

Spanish and English: sponsorships@ipc11cuba.com

International Liasson

Michelle Louise Grattan

Intern

Antonio Núñez Jiménez Foundation for Nature and Humanity

Cuba

English: admin@ipc11cuba.com

Bookings

Harriet Walsh

Permaculture Association UK

United Kingdom

English: bookings@ipc11cuba.com

Permaculture in Cuba

Permaculture arrived to Cuba in late 1993, through The Southern Cross
Brigade an Australian and New Zealand solidarity group, some of them
Permaculturists. In late 1995 the movement was welcomed by Antonio Núñez
Jiménez to continue operations as part of his Foundation for Nature and
Humanity, a Cuban NGO. At that point in time with the country facing a
serious economic crisis, the key goal was to increase food production as
much and as quickly as possible, and this was done by growing food directly
under the feet of people, on local family and community grounds of Havana.
Several projects were developed with the support of the Australian Green
Team and the Australian Conservation Foundation.

We are proud to say that the work of this small and devoted team of Cubans,
Aussies, New Zealanders and others, along with a few other similar efforts
in the country at the time, most certainly contributed to the degree of
local food security the communities, towns and cities of our island enjoy to
this day.

In coming to Cuba we can share elements of this process with you, our
experiences, struggles, achievements, learning, and we can review and
consider some of the risk factors we have been experiencing and learning
from over these last few years related to climate change. We will do all of
this with guests in our traditional Cuban way of openness, talking,
listening, lectures, workshops, roundtables, honesty, eating, drinking… and,
why not, a little more talking.!

"The real proof of intelligence is demonstrating that you understand

how to integrate living systems together so that everybody's life is

improved in the whole food web. The landscapes are littered with

burned out farms and burned out rivers and burned out oceans -- that

is not any display of intelligence. Pay your farmworkers fair wages,

regardless of their species, and grow brains instead of chemical

industry fortunes." -- Lion Kunz