permaculture - [permaculture] When agriculture stops working: A guide to growing food in the age of climate destabilization and civilization collapse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] When agriculture stops working: A guide to growing food in the age of climate destabilization and civilization collapse
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 23:30:42 -0400

[an amazing essay published by resilience.org]

When agriculture stops working: A guide to growing food in the age of
climate destabilization and civilization collapse
by Dan Allen <http://www.resilience.org/author-detail/1151372-dan-allen>,
originally published by Resilience.org | Mar 12, 2013

*This is Part 1 of an essay in 2 parts. Part 1, below, outlines the issues.
Part 2, offers 'Ten Recommendations for Growing Food in the
Anthropocene<http://www.resilience.org/stories/2013-03-13/when-agriculture-stops-working-ten-recommendations-for-growing-food-in-the-anthropocene>
*
When agriculture stops working: A guide to growing food in the age of
climate destabilization and civilization collapse
http://www.resilience.org/stories/2013-03-11/when-agriculture-stops-working-a-guide-to-growing-food-in-the-age-of-climate-destabilization-and-civilization-collapse

*Premise 6:* *Ecological complexity in agriculture will necessarily
replace technological complexity.* Challenged by (1) the disappearance of
essentially all industrial agricultural technology, (2) the loss of much
pre-industrial agricultural technology to cultural erosion, (3) severely
degraded agricultural ecosystems, and (4) worsening climatic
destabilization, successful human food acquisition will necessarily rely
increasingly on ecological knowledge and assistance – what we can perhaps
call ‘ecological technology’. We will need to return humbly, thankfully,
and thoughtfully to ‘the tangled bank.’ And given the climatic,
ecological, and social challenges bearing down on us, such an ecological
awakening will not be optional for human survival.

*Premise 7: A polyculture of perennial vegetation has the best chance of
providing food for humans in the future. *In light of challenges outlined
above, a diverse polyculture of perennial vegetation has many advantages
over the largely-annual monocultures of traditional human agriculture: more
robust structural integrity, improved soil-holding and building ability,
superior nutrient and water gathering efficiency, decreased annual labor
inputs, more efficient gathering of sunlight, longer annual period of
active photosynthesis, and less reliance on precise rainfall and
temperature patterns. As such, an agriculture based largely on a rich
diversity of ecologically-managed, food and fiber-producing perennials
embedded within diverse perennial-based wild ecosystems will exhibit
maximum resilience and stand the best chance of providing food in our
climate-destabilized, civilization-collapsing future.

*Premise 8:* *Our current ‘leaders’ will not aid the necessary transition
to an ecologically-sound perennial agriculture – they will hinder it.* The
crucial near-term response of the ‘powers that be’ (corporations, national
governments) to the gathering existential agricultural emergencies will
continue to be, perversely and suicidally, their exacerbation – e.g.,
trying to maximize carbon emissions (even as they fall), accelerating
industrial depredations, and a desperate inflating of the industrial bubble
via economic and public-relations chicanery, resulting in a more rapid and
destructive collapse when the bubble inevitably pops. Lobbying of such
‘powers that be’ to change course has proven, at best, largely ineffectual
– and perhaps even counter-productive, as it can perpetuate the illusion of
‘if only they understood’ and distract from constructive efforts possible
at the local level.

*Premise 9:* *Local responses are possible, necessary, and should begin
ASAP.* In this critical pre-collapse period, constructive responses to
both our agricultural and broader predicaments will only be fashioned at
the local and community level – a fact that is at once frightening, sad,
embarrassing, and empowering. These responses involve efforts to learn,
preserve, and disseminate (1) a more resilient, ecologically-attuned
agriculture, (2) hunting and gathering skills, along with the accompanying
ecological knowledge and sensitivity, (3) craftsmanship and artistry in the
manufacturing of basic necessities (tools, shelter, water infrastructure,
medicines), and (4) key social skills, such as conflict-resolution,
cooperation, and collaboration, as well as the cultivation of beauty,
joyfulness, and thankfulness in our everyday lives.
Bibliography: