permaculture - Re: [permaculture] HeenanDoherty 20th Anniversary - Thanks to Lawrence London

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] HeenanDoherty 20th Anniversary - Thanks to Lawrence London
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 00:07:34 -0500

On 3/6/2013 8:14 PM, Heenan Doherty wrote:
G'day,

As we are celebrating our 20th anniversary in
business<http://www.heenandoherty.com/_blog/Latest_News/post/HeenanDoherty20thAnniversary/>this
week we wanted to publicly acknowledge Lawrence London and this list
for being here for a large hunk of that time.

Congratulations to you and Lisa and thanks very much for the compliment.
This permaculture list gets better by the month. I am amazed at the dialog we see here.

We remember well the days when a 14.4kbps modem was fast, a 486 was the
latest and greatest and the interactions we had in our early days on this

This list was started in 1992, pre windows I think. I was using a 386 and 14.4 kb/s dialup access logging into a Unix host. It was fun using trn for news, lynx to browse the early web, ftp and gopher to access text information archives.

Permaculture (and Sustainable AG) listserve, and Lawrence has managed been
there for all of these years plying away with a lot of energy and most
important of all integrity.

Thanks so much for saying that. I always held out hope that this would be a quality, content-oriented forum that would serve the experienced members as well as those who have come here to find out what permaculture is all about and learn as much as they can. It appears to have also served the purpose of guiding some who seek careers in the field toward achieving their professional goals.

So thanks Lawrence for all of the great & consistently enduring work over
the years and we look forward to many more to come.

I hope to continue stewarding this list through coming decades and thanks for your appreciation of my work.

I have two able assistants to help with list maintenance: Chrys Ostrander and Michael Burns.

Yours & Growing,

Lisa Heenan & Darren J. Doherty

PS. And by the way where do we donate again? Something all those who use
this list should do when they can.

Thanks for the thought, Darren. I had to delete the PayPal Donate button when I set up my online store at Avant Geared with the usual credit cards plus PayPal. I would have to create a separate bank account to handle donations; I may consider doing this as I really need to upgrade my main computer to become a stable platform. I'll email you privately with my mailing address in case you feel like sending anything my way. I have been considering doing a Kickstarter for less than $1000 to enable me to purchase a few components for my best computer, motherboard w. onboard video & audio (Intel), ram (8 gigs or more), cpu (I7 hopefully), two high capacity (1 or 2 terrabytes) enterprise class hard drives (Western Digital). I am down to two old slow computers and really need to get a third one up and running. I have no idea whether Kickstarter will allow a fundraiser expressly for a computer to help me continue maintain and steward a handfull of mailing list: this permaculture list, the nafex list (high traffic, international, amazing) and low traffic but important ones: seedkeepers, soilecology, marketfarming and a few more.
The reward for donors is subscription to and use of all these lists; that's all I can give in return. I would gratefully accept computer hardware or money.

I hope to have hand tools to sell through Avant Geared this year;
if I can just "kickstart" _that_ I will have some great handmade,
lifetime implements to offer: hand tools for gardeners and possibly some multipurpose tools for gardening, homestead, travel and trekking,
all affordably priced. Most of these will be fabricated from high quality new and recycled steel, farm implement parts, an old sewer snake tape!, hayrake and hay tedder tines, mower blades, tool steel bandsaw blades and more; some will be multipurpose in that they will have one handle with changeable tools/blades that can be clamped into it and some will have wooden handles made from locally-sawed walnut or oak.

LL