permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Community Grazing and Agroforestry Resources

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Community Grazing and Agroforestry Resources
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 21:35:43 -0500

I have never heard this suggested before but it is a very good concept:
herds of livestock, i.e. cattle, sheep, goats, even pigs
being pastured and grass fed in a rotational fashion on lands owned by many
people who would benefit from 1) keeping unwanted plant crops (weeds)
or cover crops consumed by these animals 2) soil fertilization from the
manure from these animals. It would seen that this would be an easy thing
to do.
Either herd the animals together and walk them to a new pasture or
transport them with a trailer (goats might require this, maybe sheep and
cattle too).
The landowners providing rotation pasturing could also help somewhat in
managing the herds that are on their land at the time. No reason not to
mild those that
have been freshened and that's where the perk comes in for the landowner.
Schedule grazing for milk providers on land where the owners want the milk.
Maybe
some of the livestock owners are not dairymen but the pasture land
providers would like to be but don;t want to have to own a herd; i.e. part
time dairymen;
they have milk for cheese when the animals are available for milking but
not necessarily year round. Meat animals could be harvested when culls are
available;
meat could be shared or sold to benefit everyone involved in the rotational
grazing scheme, livestock owners and non-livestock-owning land owners.
Parcel out
each herd on as many parcels of land as necessary to avoid overgrazing and
soil compaction, i.e. size the hear to the carrying capacity of the
pasture.

This sounds like an amazing win-win plan. I am no expert on this while many
others in this list are.

LL