permaculture - [permaculture] agroecology

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Frances and David" <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] agroecology
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 10:22:22 -0800

http://www.agroecology.org/index.html

so many links!
so little time!

>From venaurafarm@bellsouth.net Sat Dec 1 13:43:48 2012
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 13:44:32 -0500
From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [permaculture] Attn: Paul Wheaton Re: How to Feed 9 Billion People

Attn: Paul Wheaton

On 11/29/2012 12:34 AM, venaurafarm wrote:
If forums are used how nice it would be to have a chat
> option for each of them that users could select while participating in
> threads, i.e. post a message proposing a chat on some topic or subtopic,
> all within that forum, along with the messages that are posted, with
> those recorded chat session accessable within the forum along with the
> message archive.

Could you hack the source code for your online web forum app to include
a chat option in every forum/subforum alongside the usual 1) new topic
2) reply 3) reply with quote options plus: 4) chat OR offer the chat
option after they select 1, 2 or 3 and are writing their reply; when
they send it notification of a new chat session on that particular topic
would be attached to their reply post. Visitors would see the usual
icons on the left of the forum subject headers plus a new one for chat,
i.e. poster has initiated a chat session along with his reply.

A mod like that might even be worth money.

With old BBS's you would have a door app doing chat but this mod would
probably have to be fully integrated into the app source code.

I was thinking that anyone offering forums for the IPC's could really
make use of traditional forum software that offers the chat option.
Preserve the chat sessions, i.e. not expire them, in a form that could
be browsed and read by users reading posts in the forums without going
into chat mode. It would seem that this enhancement might generate
considerable valuable feedback from users on a variety of topics, all
preserved for perpetuity. Ban/block all users not helping to maintain a
high signal to noise ratio at ths site.

It would be nice to see this mod be made available in the Fukuoka
Farming forum at Permies. the FF list is lagging, i.e. not really
serving a global audience despite the importance of its subject. It
would be good to boost your Fukuoka forum and stimulate activity.
It is a super important topic not only to permaculturists but many
others, i.e. Chadwick, Bonfils, Hazelip, Jeavons, Coleman advocates.

LL

  • [permaculture] agroecology, Frances and David, 12/01/2012