permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Activist Issue #87

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Evan <kodama@riseup.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Activist Issue #87
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 11:33:37 -0500

I have been thinking recently that amaranth could prove to be the de-facto
semi-wild grain of the future as corn/soy/cotton/milo fields in the southeast
are left fallow and this very strong plant takes over. Given that certain
species of amaranth have already proven to be "roundup-ready" and that plants
of the amaranth family requires no mycorhizal association, I think this
exists as a strong possibility. I think the major question are whether
amaranth will accumulate the toxins left in the soil by the industrial-ag
processes. Certainly nitrates pose a problem, but I do not know whether the
seed would accumulate nitrates or pesticide residue.

Any thoughts?

Evan