permaculture - Re: [permaculture] replacing irrigation with permaculture - now on youtube

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] replacing irrigation with permaculture - now on youtube
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 08:08:31 -0400

On 9/21/2012 1:57 AM, paul wheaton wrote:
That sounds like work and stuff!

How about instead: I cobble together the video I took from this trip.
Sepp's un-irrigated hugelkultur beds? Steve Heckeroth's electric
tractor? Or maybe Steve's outhouse carved from one huge chunk of
stump + the amazing way a thousand poops go in to the water tight
system, but nothing comes out. Wasps controlling insects? The bee
hut? The rescued bee stump? the value of bindweed? How hidden Mike
Oehler's house is?

That would be a great thing to do. I hope we will see it soon. Will it be available for download? on YouTube?

And then the upcoming podcasts: art ludwig on how innovation is
illegal, but depended on; tips for women to pee outside; the plethora
of variety of composting toilets; building eco building despite
building codes; and about eight more in the hopper ...

All that too. I knew Art Ludwig when he lived in Chapel Hill. He has made quite a contribution.

The big rocket mass heater workshop is coming in late october. The
inland northwest permaculture conference is in the beginning of
november. I've been working on changes to the forum software so it
will be easier for folks to process so much daily information.

That would be a good thing. I will visit and take a close look at what
changes you make.

Patrick Whitefield is answering questions at permies this week and we
have authors scheduled for each week for the next four weeks.

This is good.

I would suggest you or someone donate multiple copies of Bill Mollison's "Perjaculture Designers Manual", still, in my opinion, the best single work on the subject and essential reading for new as well as experienced permaculturists.

I spent
a big slice of today looking at land.

I hope you find a good tract. Maybe you would find this interesting:

School of Living
http://www.schoolofliving.org/landtrust.htm

*
"Land belongs to a vast family of which many are dead, few are living and
countless members are still unborn"* -- A Nigerian tribal saying
*"Men did not make the earth..It is the value of the improvement only, and
not the earth itself, that is individual property...Every proprietor owes
to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."*
--Thomas Paine *
*

I am thinking about getting involved with this concept and turnkey land trust umbrella system to be part of a local, distributed intentional community. May become the wave of the future for many people with or without land.

Also look into starting a food hub or local food networks of various types.

So when you suggest a new project ... it makes me feel tired. :)

I am full of ideas, concepts, proposals and projects and enjoy writing about these. Don't worry, your taxes won't go up if you don't do any of them...but you might become disqualified for the free $5000 permaculture ham.

Actually I think that this particular media/lecture series really is important enough that it should be done by someone(s) sometime in the near future. This would help decentralize permaculture and bring the best of it to individuals and institutions that would embrace it and put it to work for the long term, all for a low price and without detracting from the teaching/PDC/lecture/consulting/writing enterprises
of existing and future permaculture professionals depending on trade for their livelihoods.