permaculture - Re: [permaculture] replacing irrigation with permaculture - now on youtube

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] replacing irrigation with permaculture - now on youtube
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:38:56 -0400

On 9/20/2012 2:09 PM, paul wheaton wrote:
Here is over two hours of me talking to 140 people in Oceanside,
California about replacing irrigation with permaculture on my recent
"Symphonies in Seed and Soil Tour". Probably my most popular
presentation, now available on youtube:

http://www.permies.com/t/17667

please forward to folks that might be interested in this sort of thing

That's a mouthfull; you could easily create a 9-5 two week seminar/lecture series on this subject. Why don't you do this, Paul?

Invite many high profile teachers, consultants, designers, authors and practitioners to collaborate and deliver lectures. Everyone else, attendees and non attendees could submit material to be included in the lectures, i.e. multimedia, audio and video (photographs, drawings, blueprints, sketches, art, music. You are already doing much to advance permaculture globally but an event like this would
be a logical next step. Charge admission only for cost recovery, event expenses and a fee to all participants plus a $5000 permaculture ham to you for facilitating it.

Take the subject of permaculture and break it down into its component parts, create a lecture series for each major category. Have one event
for each and videotape it with professional equipment. Distribute the whole video series around the country (or world) for a series of viewings in public venues spanning several weeks. Charge the same admission as for the original live event. Use large screen/theater audio and video equipment.

I order to keep the momentum up and continue the lecture series on new, revised and different topics charge enough for admission to be able to
purchase this equipment and ship it along with the media to each event site. Or simply sell copies of the complete set of videos to raise money for equipment. Some of this profit could go to help pay for future lecture events of this sort and the research needed to prepare for them.

I nominate Paul, Scott, Skeeter, Toby, Larry S. and I for this task.

Actually, to me, this seems like a serious must-do project to really push permaculture forward so more people and businesses can learn about it, adopt it and practice it.

What do you think about the possibility that this could be made to happen? I can think of enormous resources that can be brought to bear on a magnum opus like this. The whole thing could also be made wiki-ready and included in the wikipedia and appropedia and in various websites.

The task of creating and delivering it seems easier than that of distributing it, paying for it and charging for access. Municipalities and academic institutions could help with hosting. The widespread popularity of permaculture now might make it easier to locate events.

LL