permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Hacking & precautions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Hacking & precautions
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:41:01 -0500

On 12/18/2011 3:48 PM, Michael Pilarski wrote:

The hacking of my Yahoo account was a real pain in the butt. As far
as I know no one sent any money to the crooks in Spain.

I now have my Yahoo email account back but they deleted all my emails
and contact list. This will hurt my organizing efforts for some time.

One lesson learned is that if this happens to you, try to get your
server to restore the deleted info ASAP.

Michael and all others:

The solution is simple. Don't rely on email services like Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc., where you store and read and send all your email correspondence online without having copies of everything or doing any of the actual work on your own computer, to prevent your account(s) from being hacked. They do advise you to change your login password frequently, at least GMail does. Use these services but add another like ATT, Bellsouth, etc. that you can use to have, (Ex.) Gmail forward copies of specific or all your email to. Create filters that automatically send certain email from Gmail to your home computer through a secondary service. Or simply forward critical and important email from your online email service to you through a secondary email provider (like ATT or Bellsouth). If there is a way to download all your online email folders, do so. Change your login password frequently and make it cryptic.

To have all your important email correspondence and addressbooks at a remote, external email host "in the cloud" is taking a huge and unnecessary chance at losing all of it, having personal information, login ID's, passwords, account numbers, CC numbers and the like stolen and possibly used by thieves.

Every ISP providing you with dialup or DSL service will give you one or more email addresses to use included in the monthly fee. Always use these and backup your external email accounts with them, then back those files and folders up. Use Thunderbird for email and Firefox (make default browser) and Chrome (DO NOT make default browser) for the Web.
Copy your Thunderbird "profile" to a secure location periodically for backup copies of all your filters, email and email folders.

This works and is essential these days.

LL