permaculture - Re: [permaculture] becoming a creature, going feral

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] becoming a creature, going feral
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 10:45:34 -0800

Feral-ness is spreading! At the Northwest permaculture convergence last month and again at the Inland Permaculture Conference in Spokane last weekend there were feral creatures seen on the contradance floor and demonstrating their arts in workshops; napping flint, scraping hides and tanning with brains, forging tools on absurdly heavy anvils and smoking up the place with coke fires.

If we don't stop them soon they may escape the sinking raft and become like the uplanders who founded Battakin, Hovenweep and Mesa Verde after the Chacoan collapse. Then where would we be? ;-)

At the end, the Chacoan elites were left with no one to hoe their corn and eventually turned to cannibalism before starving. Unfortunately, the other sites fell to similar ills in succeeding centuries as climate change of the 13th century went against them. Many sites are littered with human bones cracked open to extract the marrow.