permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Credit Union as better place for your deposits | Fwd: Close your bank account

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Credit Union as better place for your deposits | Fwd: Close your bank account
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 18:31:28 -0400

On 10/31/2011 10:50 PM, wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
I have signed the pledge. But i am now looking for some good
alternatives to my regular bank account.

Preferably something with free international ATM withdrawals and a
Unionpay compatibility.

Has anybody put together a good list of social lending sites,
cooperatives etc that we can migrate too?

An article on this in CNN Money:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/03/pf/move_your_money_day/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Customers are dumping their banks in droves ahead of the nationwide "Move Your Money" and "Bank Transfer Day" movements this Saturday.
Given the recent spotlight on attempts -- and ultimate failures -- by some of the nation's biggest banks to tack on new debit card fees, thousands of disgruntled consumers have already either left or pledged to leave their current bank for a community bank or credit union, which are known for having fewer and/or lower bank account fees."

"At least 650,000 consumers have already joined credit unions since Sept. 29, the day Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) announced plans to impose its controversial $5 debit card fee, according to a nationwide survey of credit unions by the Credit Union National Association.
That's more than a year's worth of members in a single month -- with credit unions adding 600,000 members in all of 2010.
The new memberships in October amount to $4.5 billion in new savings accounts, CUNA said."

  • Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Credit Union as better place for your deposits | Fwd: Close your bank account, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 11/04/2011