permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PIGS AT WORK

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PIGS AT WORK
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 06:34:45 -0700 (PDT)

Wow, sounds complicated! The pig at our Pine Ridge project kept breaking out
of her pen because there was zero stimulation for her back there. So we made
a pig tractor out of a temporary corral (forged steel panels linked together,
no way for her to break out of that), and moved her from spot to spot where
she could dig and root and be near the horses and people, etc. Ideally, the
design would incorporate a place where the pigs could free range (a la Sepp
Holzer), but that takes some good barriers if you have a kitchen garden you
want to keep around, etc.