permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Whitewash for roofs?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ken Morneault <kmorneau@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Whitewash for roofs?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 20:31:42 -0700 (PDT)

Here is the information I received from David (the person from the blog
article):

Someone asked me how it affected my electric bills... and i
researched it pretty thoroughly because i kept a lot of electric bill
information for several years back.  I figure it saved me about 30
percent of electric USAGE.  I did not compare dollar amounts from year
to year because the price of fuel changes.  I only compared kilowatt
hours per month used.

Also, many people have emailed me and most people ask the same
question about how well the lime sticks... etc.. so i have simply copy
& pasted one of my emails to another person.  This should cover
pretty much everything most people wonder about... here it is:

---------------------------------

STICKING ABILITY:  Everyone asks this question.
Yes... lime is called "whitewash" and it will eventually come off... but it
sticks a lot better than you might think.  It stayed on my roof for 2 winters
here in St. Louis ....(and didn't come off).  I suspect it might wash off
after 4 or 5
years.  But the cost is only $15 bucks to cover your whole roof..  If
you are still afraid of it not sticking, just purchase one bag and do a
test painting of a scrap piece of wood.. or paint your dogs house roof.  by
the way, it WILL wash off during the first couple of hours if it
rains before it dries.  That's a big consideration in florida!  Be sure to
paint on a non rainy day. (good luck)

SEALANT:  Just forget it.  This stuff  (lime) is not going to seal your roof
against water leaks at all.  But the
ELASTOMERIC coating is not made for shingle roofs either.  If your roof
has any leak problems, better look for another solution.

APPLYING:  I didn't carry any water up the ladder.  I only carried the LIME
POWDER up the ladder.  I dumped a couple gallons
of powder into a big ice-chest on the roof.  Then used a water hose
(running slowly at edge of roof) into the ice chest. I  Mixed using my
long-handled roller. I just added water until it "looked ok"  I wanted
it kind of thick so i didn't have to do 2 coats.  You don't want to do
this twice. so mix it kind of thick.  My "50--50" statement is only a
rough estimate.  Dont over-worry about it.  it's not all that
critical....... it just has to have some water in it to get it to act
like paint.  I would dump about a gallon of paint at the peak of the roof and
it would run down while i SLATHERED it around with the roller.  This makes
painting between the shingle-gaps much easier.

DRYING:  During painting, you will say, "This stuff
isn't very white!"  but just wait untill it DRIES.  It will dry a
BRILLIANT white that will amaze you.

MY ROOF:   My house has regular shingles on it
again... not white ones.  My wife did not like our roof looking
"different" than everyone elses.  So I went ahead and replaced the
shingles with standard brown ones.  Then winter came... it SNOWED....
and i said to my wife, "Look honey... everyones roof is white now!  Its
so pretty, isn't it?"  She didn't see the humor in this, nor the
sillyness of dis-liking white roofs.

WAIT 24 HOURS (before applying the paint mix):  I
think i read that somewhere also.  Maybe that has some validity i don't
know.  Maybe it will stick better if you wait 24 hours???  I think it
sticks well enough to just paint it right away.

OTHER IDEAS:  One man emailed me and said he was
going to mix his with some CONCRETE powder to help the sticking
ability.  That sounds like a good idea to me, but he never let me know
how that went.  I have also heard you could mix it with EGG WHITES to
help with stickability.  Lots of things a person could experiment with,
but it sticks pretty well all by itself just mixed with water in my
opinion.

CLOTHES:  Wear some shoes and clothes you dont want.  You will ruin them
doing this job and will have to throw them away.

SAFETY:   Wet paint is slippery.  My roof was not
very slanted, but if your roof is very slanty...be carefull you dont
slip and fall.

RESULTS:  My attic went from 145 degrees down to
about 100 degrees using this lime paint!!  This is MUCH more effective
than installing any kind of attic vents.  My attic vents and soffit
vents and FAN POWERED vent only reduced attic temperatures from 145 down to
about 143 degrees!!!!  The effectiveness of this is truly amazing!

THERMOMETER:  It is good to document your success.
Purchase a cheap digital thermometer (about $12)  with one of them
wired-probes.  You can add 10 or 20 feet of wire to the probe to monitor your
attic temps.  Most of them have a MEMORY of todays minimum/maximum
temperatures you can read... then press "CLEAR" so you can read
tomorrows maximum.  Write down your results before and after the
painting.  I got my digital thermometer at HarborFreight tools.  They
sell them in the garden department of hardware stores also.

BEFORE YOU START:  Measure your attic temperatures
to see how hot your attic is getting.  If your attic is below 120
degrees, then don't even bother painting the roof. You will not see much
improvement in house temperature reduction (in my opinion).  If your
attic is more than 120 degrees, then you are living in an OVEN or a
BROILER.  All that heat is coming down and making your house too hot.

I hope that answers some of your questions.  Good
luck on your roof painting project.  Feel free to email me if you have
any other questions about it.

Dave Mundy in St. Louis Missouri.