permaculture - [permaculture] Whitewash for roofs?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bob Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Whitewash for roofs?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 13:33:59 -0500

The energy savings of white roofs appear to be well substantiated. But
painting your roof can be expensive.

There is however a lower cost way to achieve whiteness and that is whitewash.
Here’s basic info from wikipedia on the subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewash . The goal of course would be to
achieve the energy savings available from white roofs at a lower cost than
conventional paints, even though it would have to be reapplied every few
years.

I was wondering if anyone had had any actual experience with this. In
particular, I’m curious about how whitewash would adhere to asphalt shingles.
If this would work, it could be a boon to low income communities everywhere.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
>From kmorneau@yahoo.com Mon Aug 8 17:27:49 2011
_Js3GSgH.PoqW3Hw1MsU071CCdXlHQcqI3hErmxyNID1hHLnsIgygnMzAIO.
EiCNHFboAZs_T2Pwpznugh40gXo4HOx_S7Sf8TF3kkCn5X5SfT.j3bXsZcmf
G7_hkruyw56LUwe9InqKKRCFB3EVwDQ7QKg6PhWv4RzN25dNqQWc-