permaculture - Re: [permaculture] cattail ag model

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: DGilsen@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] cattail ag model
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:36:06 -0400 (EDT)

I have had no problem growing cattails any where. They have to have lots
of water but... continuous damp will work perfectly. That seems to be all
that is necessary I find that compost and manure seem to really help. If
you have damp soil and manure and cattail seeds you will have a bumper crop
of cattails. Good luck on this project. You do know that the cattail is
almost an entire groceries store. The roots produce an eatable excellent
starch. The new shoots are some what chewie but taste like asparagus . The
seed head as it just starts can be steamed and tastes like corn. the
pollen can be harvested and used in baking about one half to one quarter in
flour to get a nuttie buttery taste to baked goods, The long leaves can be
used to weave mats and soft baskets.
Good luck On your project.