permaculture - [permaculture] How many permies? was: Free PDC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, International Permaculture List <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] How many permies? was: Free PDC
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:39:19 -0700

Stacia Nordin wrote

> There are over 1000000 PDC graduates around the globe and amazing teachers
> virtually everywhere!

That number falls apart under even a simple analysis. The average PDC has
about 20 people; some more, many less. A million PDC grads at an average of
20 people per PDC requires 50,000 PDCs taught. There weren't many PDCs in the
1980s, so the bulk have been in the last 20 years. So you need about 2500
PDCs taught per year for 20 years to make 50,000 of them. I figure 100 PDCs
or so taught in the 1980s (even if it was 1000, these numbers hold).

Do we really think there have been 2500 PDCs taught each year? I think it's
more like 250 PDCs, maybe, per year since 1990--more lately, less in the
nineties. To see that trend and see fair numbers for North America along,
look at the Activist calendar.

I suspect the number of PDC grads is closer to 100,000 than a million. If
anyone comes up with different numbers, I'm open to revision.

It bugs me to see a statement that has obviously involved no thinking through.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

>>> "PermaCulture-Malawi"<PermaCulture-Malawi@yahoogroups.com>,<ipc-public@ipcon.org>