permaculture - [permaculture] April 16th: Permaculture Mushroom Workshop in Urbana, IL

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Burns" <michael@fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] April 16th: Permaculture Mushroom Workshop in Urbana, IL
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 16:41:38 -0400

From: "rafter sass" <liberationecology@gmail.com>

http://tinyurl.com/urbanamushroom-april

DATE: Saturday April 16
TIME: 1:00 - 5:00ish
LOCATION: La Casa, at 906 S. Maple, Urbana IL
PRICE: $30

Think gardening is only about plants? You're missing out! There's a whole
'nother Kingdom to explore - and eat. I'll give an overview of several
easy-entry mushroom growing techniques, suitable for gardens, wooded areas,
landscaping, and living rooms. We'll look at mushrooms through a holistic,
permaculture lens, and learn to find the niche in the landscape where they
can thrive and generate fertility, even as they produce food and medicine
for us. I'll put it all in the context of historical, present-day, and
emerging practices, with a focus on integration with sustainable landscapes.

In the hands-on section, we'll learn to inoculate mushrooms logs, and create
a mushroom patch in the garden. Each participant can bring an inoculated log
home with them.

The cost of the 4-hour workshop is $30.

Space is limited, so please register at the website:
http://tinyurl.com/urbanamushroom-april

PRESENTER BIO:
Rafter Sass has been learning and teaching permaculture design since 2003.
In 2010 he worked with Milwaukee's flagship urban farm, Growing Power, to
integrate mushroom production with their intensive urban agriculture
systems. He is co-director of the Ecological Learning Institute, which works
to connect the resources of the eco-design movement with the leadership of
grassroots community projects. He consults and teaches permaculture
professionally, and is a doctoral student at University of Illinois in
Urbana-Champaign.

--
rafter sass
*Ecological Learning Institute*

--
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
offers workshops, apprenticeships, and

  • [permaculture] April 16th: Permaculture Mushroom Workshop in Urbana, IL, Michael Burns, 04/08/2011