permaculture - [permaculture] Soil fauna, discussion continued. Vetiver.org.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Soil fauna, discussion continued. Vetiver.org.
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:27:27 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Soil fawna
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:37:38 +1300
From: Don Miller <donmillernz@GMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

As others have stated, each situation is different. The linked presentation shows what can be done to build fertility through vegetation establishment on actively eroding steep faces in a toxic acidic nutrient deficient volcanic rock in the tropics. Numerous attempts to plant hardy* Pinus caribaea* had failed, although they were thriving outside of the gullied land. There was no soil, just a shallow layer of frittered soft rock particles that washed off to pollute the adjacent reef each cyclone season.

Shallow contour trenches had to be adzed in the rock as a first step. Small quantities of mostly non-soluble minerals, including dolomite, were applied only where the contour lines of grass were planted to allow initial survival. Once established, what appears to be a combination of mycorrhizal activity on the grass and N-fixing by the Acacia has allowed a reasonable level of soil fertility to develop within 7 or 8 years. Sediment production
has been effectively halted.

www.*vetiver*.org/VAN_REEF/VAN-reef2_files/VAN-reef2.ppt

Elsewhere in the same island *P.caribaea* plantations have lifted the
fertility of previous barren slopes to the extent that good crops of Cassava are now being grown, after forest harvesting, with no application of any fertilisers. Those who knock pine forests as being acidifiers that always wreck the soil please take note!

Don