permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Neretva needs you

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Amir Redzic <redzic_amir@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Neretva needs you
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 04:44:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Lawrence and thanks for this!

the blog is not mine, though, I just recently discovered it

I am not sure what can be done, but I thought it would be great to share some
information with this list, as I recognize it as a cutting edge forum for
sustainable living

right now there is an ongoing project of a hydroelectric dam near place
called Ulog, in the heart of the upper course of the river

mountain Prenj, ("Small Alps" due to numerous peaks over 2000m) which has
been debated to become national park for many decades, due to its numerous
endemic plants, is on the route of the proposed European Corridor 5-C, a
split highway

in the lower course, there are ongoing projects for hydro energy under name
"Gornji Horizonti" - this project is in the area of Eastern Part of
Herzegovina region, east of Neretva, that large tip in the southeast of the
country

the purpose of the project (some of it already implemented) is to divert
water which flows to Neretva, to river Trebisnjica further south, to be
accumulated for energy

and threatens to make a desert in the parts of the valley

and reduces the amount of water which flows in the sea, so that salt water is
more easily advancing inland

i suppose climate change and the influence of parts of Gornji Horizonti which
have been implemented are the reason that Hutovo Blato is recently discovered
to be endangered by salty water; it a Ramsar site, a great swamp and a refuge
for birds

there have been reports of salty water as upstream as Capljina

but I have only recently started looking into this, so I am still quite lost

WWF projects are great, but it is all full of corruption, like the lady who
works on a WWF project also works for "an institute for hydrotechnics" which
is a quasi-private institute/company which works with water, and I heard that
this company was hired in the consortium which prepares project documentation
for the European Corridor 5-C

or, a feasibility study for making mountains Prenj, Cvrsnica, Cabulja a
national park has been prepared by two companies (one called Electroprojekt
Zagreb, and the other called Bosna-S Oil Company, recently renamed to Enova)
- now you may infer from the names of the companies how their wealth and
profesional references have been built

it is all so ridiculus

and this feasibility study has been stuck for years and years, because of
political divisions, corporate lobbyist, international interests (guess where
the equipment for the proposed dams is going to come from? Many Austrian
companies in particular have been implicated, also recently there has been
capital coming in from Kazahstan (natural gas electric plants in Zenica),
Saudi Arabia (shopping mall/hotel/whatever in the center of Sarajevo), United
States (ditto - right accross the road from each other)...

River Neretva transcends all borders, it covers areas where all the three
sado-mazo groups tend to live

and I feel like there is still a some indigenous knowledge left in the
smaller communities in the area

my grandmother of 86 told me stories of how they lived, it is all basically
permaculture

traditional ways of life were not wasteful, they were relaxed and chilled,
and so much better for all, I look so much to this coming depression

But we need to prepare with permaskills

this region in general is in grave need of permaculture and similar courses

people are hypnothised with television, facebooks, shiny things

best

--- On Tue, 3/15/11, Lawrence F. London, Jr. <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>