permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Need name of eco farm in Colombia doing pilot work in integrated agriculture + a few answers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L. Santoyo" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, permaculture@openpermaculture.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Need name of eco farm in Colombia doing pilot work in integrated agriculture + a few answers
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 09:00:00 -0700

Lawrence and Carmenza- thanks...

This is great- another byproduct/nutrient recycling/stacking/next best use-
permaculture story for me...

LL, when you find the photo's of the processing let us know... I'll be
teaching (and learning!) at a design course with Scott Pittman at a place in
Mexico with similar practices. The Tosepan Titataniske Cooperative, in the
northern mountainous region of Puebla, Mexico- where the coffee is a
by-product of their biodiversity management program.

Before coffee can be grown for the coop, every farm provides habitat for a
list of more than 150 plant and 180 bird species. Coffee is cultivated on
their own lands, based on traditional systems. They too go on to grow
mushrooms in the coffee substrate- then use the spent medium for soil
amendments.

The Tosepan Titataniske Cooperative is an ecovillage in every sense- not
only natural buildings and biological waste water treatment but is complete
with local economic development- including a construction and civil
engineering company and industries surrounding the of cultivation of timber
bamboo, curing & processing for use in their bamboo housing construction
company and bamboo furniture factory. In addition to coffee, mushrooms, and
bamboo- they produce black pepper, citrus, macadamia, cinnamon, raw sugar
and raw honey.

33% of the proceeds go to the cooperative...
Register for the The Tosepan Titataniske Cooperative Permaculture Course
APRIL 10-25, 2011:
http://www.covolv.org/covolv-trainingretreats/

Watch the video:
http://vimeo.com/19619175

Permaculture and Sustainability tours at Tosepan Titataniske Cooperative:
http://suddhaprem.com/

More upcoming courses:
http://earthflow.com/blog/permaculture-courses

Larry