permaculture - [permaculture] Kentucky Coffee Tree

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Kentucky Coffee Tree
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 18:38:17 -0700

Does anyone have first hand experience or reliable research regarding
Kentucky Coffee Tree? I collected seeds from a large podded legume tree on
a walk through an abandoned industrial part of town today and later
determined the species to be Kentucky Coffee Tree. This tree must be
extremely rare here on the Front Range of CO as I've never seen anything
like it. The USDA website says it is NOT a known N-fixer. This was
disappointing to learn, as I thought I was stumbling upon a low maintenance,
no water, broadleaf n-fixer. If anyone has contrary info please let me
know. Also if anyone has experimented with the seed pod or seed edibility
that would be great info to have.
Thanks in advance,
Jason