permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Composting toilet for Community Garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: Permaculture Listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Composting toilet for Community Garden
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 03:04:13 +0000

Scott-
You may want to take a look at the book "Toilets that Make Compost" (download
free: http://www.ecosanres.org/toilets_that_make_compost.htm). Many designs
of different toilets, but mostly for tropical climate. You may consider
whether or not you want to do urine diversion. Urine may help in the winter
to heat things up (nitrogen), though you want to make sure its not too wet.
You probably want to build the composting chamber super insulated with cob so
that it doesn't freeze. Worms are great addition to the compost chamber but
need some warmth.
I assume in Maine you have water, so you may consider a methane digesting
toilet (link: http://www.cityfarmer.org/biogasPaul.html). You get methane
gas and also can worm compost the sludge for use on crops.
Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249
www.sborganics.com
www.surferswithoutborders.org