permaculture - [permaculture] Composting toilet for Community Garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Composting toilet for Community Garden
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:32:03 -0500

HI All,

Our community garden in Norway Maine is looking for a "best practice" solution to compost human waste on site. (Not for use in the garden)

Since the garden is in a neighborhood, we need to avoid any odor issues. I'm a long-time sawdust/bucket/bin humanure composter, but for a public site like this we need something that requires no handling of "live" waste and will be a good demonstration/model for the community.

During the season we might have a dozen or more people using the toilet on a given day. Winter use would be very limited, but it would be great to have a system that works in the cold as well. The site is off-grid so high electric use is not an option.

Any thoughts, links, or references to working systems would be much appreciated.

Enjoy the strengthening sun!

Scott

Scott Vlaun Moose Pond Arts+Ecology Design Solutions for a Sustainable Future
450 Main Street, Studio 2, Norway, Maine 04268 • 207-739-2409