permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Limestone for a rubble trench

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Limestone for a rubble trench
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:05:03 -0800

Cuauhtemoc,

I'm an amateur builder, but have some training in chemistry and
geology...here's my two cents...

Limestone (Calcium Carbonate, CaCO3) is a soluble mineral, and the more
acidic the water, the more will dissolve in my understanding. something
interesting about calcium carbonate and gypsum (calcium sulfate (CaSO4) is
that their solubility decreases as temperature increases (hence the
formation of Tufa's in Mono Lake, CA).

Many of the caverns and sinkholes that are prevalent in Florida and the
Yucatan Peninsula were once sedimentary rock (limestone in particular) that
has dissolved and been eroded over time (geologic time usually). So from a
broad perspective, I think the rubble trench would dissolve over time. At
what rate? it depends.

Due to this, I would recommend other rocks if you have access to them.
Often Shales and Sandstones are found associated with limestone deposits.
Or pumice if there is volcanic activity nearby.

Maybe we can brainstorm some other uses for this limestone resource it
sounds like you have access to???

Here's a quick start:
1. rainwater cisterns: to keep pH above 5.5 where many toxic metals become
soluble.
2. ground up and used in earthen plaster mixes
3. a slow-release fertilizer: could be multi-functional with temporary
contoured erosion control structures (while vegetation establishes).

cheers,
neil