permaculture - [permaculture] sizing spillways

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] sizing spillways
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 08:54:42 -0800

Hi all,

I'm looking at my methods and wanting to ensure due diligence, so I'm asking
for suggestions and some details on how to size spillways correctly,
estimate or find records on max events, etc.

Can you recommend some sources for this info?

or share some equations for calculating the size of a spillway based on Rate
of Discharge.

Also, if there are differences between sizing spillways for swales vs. check
dams, vs. earthen dams/ponds or other water harvesting structures, those
details would be very helpful as well.

Thanks,
Neil