permaculture - Re: [permaculture] black locust, cautions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] black locust, cautions
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 16:59:51 -0700

I agree with all of that!

And, I wish to add to it: I've never heard of black locust being used
as an exclusive fodder crop - only as a supplemental fodder.
Especially with sheep and goats which not only have an ability to deal
with tanins, but appear to require a certain amount of tanins to be
healthy. I have read reports where up to 50% of the feed for goats
was black locust without any noticable effects (as a comparison, these
same animals should not be fed more than 50% alfalfa).

I think the important thing is that the animals need to have access to
a broad variety of browse/graze. Then they pick and choose what is
best for them. To my knowledge, the only time that toxicity becomes
an issue is when the animals choices are limited to either one species
or a selection of toxic species.

As with many things: this is a really complicated space, and human
knowledge of this space is freaky small. At the same time,
permaculture makes it easy: diversity makes everything right as rain.