permaculture - Re: [permaculture] orchard+pigs+chickens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <robyn@permaculture.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] orchard+pigs+chickens
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 02:24:01 +1100

Ducks and/or geese are fantastic. I've had a small flock of ducks in my
orchard for 17 years and they do a great job. Unlike chickens they don't
scratch so you can mulch your trees and it stays there - actually they love
sitting on the mulch and where they sit they shit. They help keep grasses,
weeds and bug populations down. I have a kids wader I move around for them
to swim in - its the best way to get them to work where you need it. We
empty the wader out every week and move it to under another tree so it
spreads the nutrients around. We shut them away at night safe from dogs and
foxes. and they have a deep straw litter in their house to harvest their
poop for compost for the gardens.
I also had a few geese until some dogs got them, they're good for eating the
grasses but not as effective as ducks in controlling bugs.
I only take my pigs into the orchard for short walks to forage when there's
too much windfall fruit for the ducks to cope with. Its important not to
have windfall fruit lying on the ground as it encourages pest population
build up, especially coddling moth and Mediterranean fruit fly - I prefer to
having animals taking care of rotten fallen fruit. I wouldn't recommend
having pigs in an orchard permanently as they can do too much damage.
With chickens you need to monitor their impact so they don't scratch areas
bare.

Ciao
Robyn
On 7/02/11 6:30 PM, "Leslie Moyer" <unschooler@lrec.org> wrote:

> I'm looking for specific information about using pigs and chickens (and/or
> ducks, turkeys, guineas, etc.) for orchard floor management (controlling
> vegetation under trees) and insect control in an organic orchard. Does
> anyone
> know of resources or people they could point me toward where I might learn
> more about that? I read of an organic orchard co-op in Wisconsin where
> they're doing that and I've found and heard brief mentions here and there of
> other instances that are all void of details, but I need some more specific
> "how-to" information about replicating it. I even read about the U. of MI
> doing research in this field, but I still can't track down any details.
>
> Thanks for any leads,
>
> -Leslie / NE Oklahoma

Permaculture College Australia inc
Pathways to sustainability through
Accredited Permaculture TrainingĀ
Certificates III & IV and Diploma of Permaculture
PDC and short courses

Robyn Francis
International permaculture design and
sustainability consultant, educator & facilitator

Djanbung Gardens
Permaculture Education Centre & Demonstration Farm
PO Box 379 Nimbin NSW 2480
02-6689 1755 / 0429 147 138
www.permaculture.com.au