permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Monsanto/GMO situation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jennifer Nazak <jnazak@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Monsanto/GMO situation
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:44:23 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

Lawrence wrote (or forwarded), a message that included: "It is difficult to
express how disappointed we are by the USDA's decision to completely
deregulate genetically engineered (GE) alfalfa without restrictions. This
news means farmers will now be able to plant Roundup Ready GE alfalfa without
restrictions, beginning as soon as this spring."

So how can we turn this into an opportunity? To me, it signifies a golden
opportunity for the local farmer. The only people I fully trust to grow my
food are myself, my neighbors, and local farmers. So why not blast Facebook,
YouTube, Twitter, and the various email forums with this message.

The message could be along the lines of: The bad news is that GMOs have been
deregulated. The good news is, there's a labeling requirement. The bad news
is, you can't necessarily trust the "Organic" label, either. The good news
is, you CAN trust your local farmers. The good news is, the most effective
ways to boost the safety and reliability of your food supply are in your own
hands: grow your own, swap with your neighbors, and buy from your local
farmer.

People like to hear that there's something they can do right now.

Jenny Nazak, 512-619-5363

"We are seldom, if ever, locked into a reality that we can't change simply by
deciding to change our beliefs." (Harry Palmer, author of the AvatarĀ®
materials, www.TheAvatarCourse.com AvatarĀ® is a registered trademark of
Star's Edge, Inc. All rights reserved.)

  • Re: [permaculture] Monsanto/GMO situation, Jennifer Nazak, 01/30/2011