permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] The Organic Elite Surrenders to Monsanto: WhatNow?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] The Organic Elite Surrenders to Monsanto: WhatNow?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:46:36 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:26:01 -0600
From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@GMX.NET>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Brian wrote:

The only way I think Certified Organic, or any variation anyone may come
up with to replace it, can survive, with our without the NOP or the
NOSB, is to change laws so farmers who don't want GE can sue when their
non-GE crops and animals get contaminated and win.

Existing Corporate Control over Public Policy and the Political
Process (inside and outside the present and past three
administrations) makes accomplishing that about as possible as
coexistence.

This is the unfortunate reality of the current US
socio-economic-political system.

--

Douglas

Look at Percy Schmeiser in Canada. Never bought from Monsanto, but
had to destroy the legacy seed his family developed because of
blow in from a neighboring farmer.

As it's been pointed out, there can be no coexistence because of drift.
I wish I was in a business where I got paid if I contaminated someone
else's product. It's the law that needs to change. GE is either a
contaminant, or a technology, based on the definition. I donated to
Percy's legal defense fund, and I donate to other lobbying groups. I'd
love to know how to maximize my meager resources to stop this. I'll take
any suggestions.

\brian

--
Best regards,