permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Yeomans Plow and Keyline references wanted

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Yeomans Plow and Keyline references wanted
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:25:18 -0500

On 1/14/2011 3:38 PM, Neil Bertrando wrote:

Currently, we're working on designing a 'restoration' and invasive weed
management project with the Forest Service, and we are planning on starting
with soil renovation and improving hydrologic function as the foundation of
our design implementation. To do this, we are combining a few tool sets and
strategies including Permaculture, Keyline Design, and Soil Food Web. The
Forest Service has asked us for literature references specific to our
approaches. We have some but they are not comprehensive, and we are looking
in particular for any references that examine broad acre landscape
treatment, restoration to native grasslands or grass-shrub mosaic
communities, cold arid/brittle environments, and invasive weed management.
Also, anything specific to the short and long term results of Keyline
pattern cultivation treatments with a yeomans plow would be exceptional.

We're providing them with references to the PA Yeomans books, and the
Geographic Basis of Keyline. Anything beyond that is much appreciated.
This can include contact info for people with similar projects in process.

I could write for hours on this topic.
Read the past two dozen posts I sent to this list, soil ecology, soil testing, remineralization, Brix & nutrient dense foods and more.

I am especially interested in the Yeoman plow and its many uses in farming and establishing water channeling on all terrain. I have owned one, a 3-26" shank with extended point system on fixed single toolbar.
Links to pix included below. I would not be without this implement.
Used in conjunction with a Howard Rotavator and a hiller-bedder-subsoiler/chisel plow shanks (see pix links below) you will have the ultimate combination of farm implements for 1) water channeling and distribution 2) raised bed farming and gardening for any crop.

And you may find useful information in this document that I frequently update, certainly in the gardening hand tools department:
January 6, 2011 Revision
Gardening Hand Tool Sourcelist
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq
Biointensive Gardening Guide and Farm & Garden Hand Tool Sourcelist
Permanent No-Till Biointensive Double-Dug Raised Bed Garden Preparation and Handtool Information & Sourcelist
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq

Links to the farm implement pictures:
raised bed cropping system (old info but lots of pix of implements and
raised beds on slopes, curving and on the contour
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/

Many articles and links here:
http://ecolandtech.blogspot.com/
http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com/

This is the one you'll be the most interested in:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dirt.4arm/TractorEquipment#

http://picasaweb.google.com/dirt.4arm/VenauraFarm#
field crops in raised beds created with equipment pictured above

http://picasaweb.google.com/dirt.4arm/GardenTools#
hand garden tools I use year round